Why Should One Pay Attention to Using Introductory Phrases?Recently, we promised to provide you with a few useful tips, which could help you to improve writing skills. As we always keep our promises, feel free to read the following article, and you will learn a few interesting things. In this article, we will look into the common mistakes noticed by proofreaders when checking the documents. We will continue talking about the comma theme and deeply explore the failing to use a comma after the introductory phrases.
Introductory PhrasesIn most cases, introductory phrases perform important functions: they are used to introduce something. Simply speaking, they build a stage for the rest of the sentence. Putting an introductory element to the sentence, one needs to use a comma after it to let the reader know that the key subject of the sentence is yet to follow. The size of the introductory phrases may be various. As such, they can be small, medium, and long, but such a phrase or sentence can never express any thought. For more information, please, read a few manuals exploring the introductory phrases or clauses.
An Introductory Clause and Its FunctionsAn introductory clause aims to answer the questions where, when, how, why, and some others. They also can be small, large, and medium in their size. However, regardless of the size of the introductory phrase, a comma should always follow it.
Here, you may find a few examples of proper using a comma after the introductory clauses:
- After returning home from Paris Evan was too excited to think about his work.
- Realizing that it was her last meeting with Jared Amy decided to say the words she always wanted to.
- When drinking coffee too much you should be aware of the risks.
Check the Correct Versions of the Sentences
- After returning home from Paris, Evan was too excited to think about his work.
- Realizing that it was her last meeting with Jared, Amy decided to say the words she always wanted to.
- When drinking coffee too much, you should be aware of the risks.
An Introductory WordA single word that serves for attracting the reader`s attention is called an introductory word.
- Yes, I was late yesterday, but I had substantial reasons for that.
- Indeed, your story was not that interesting and I listened to you only because I had to.
- Obviously, good writers should possess excellent writing skills as well as a certain degree of writing inspiration.
An Introductory PhraseObviously, the introductory phrases are quite similar to introductory clauses, but they do not have both a subject and a verb.
- Checking carefully, we noticed a few significant mistakes in his calculations.
- To demonstrate excellent academic achievements, you need to demonstrate perfect knowledge and skills.
- To be honest, I hate to behave in such a way.